A mint and very rare solid 18k gold English early 19th century highly engraved chain driven fusee, cylinder escapement, pair-case pocket watch by the famous watch-maker, Andrews of Cornhill, London, movement number 2467. The watch comes with two 19th century watch-repairer's label's, one of which is nearly contemporary with the watch, dating from ca. 1820. The watch has been fully serviced and overhauled by my watch maker and is keeping good time for a 20 year old watch. The watch in simply magnificent condition and from a private collection where it has clearly been looked after very well. Watches from this period in solid 18k gold cases are now very rare (normally having been recased or scrapped), and with no pin holes, excess solder filling or stretch marks are very uncommon. The movement with fine round ballustar pillars and equally superbly made solid gold hands.
The watch is very handsome piece indeed and further complimented by a very fine condition case. The watch is best described as a time-capsule from the early 19th century in simply stunning condition. This is a beautifully made English key-wound mans cylinder pocket watch, dating from 1810, from the Georgian period. The watch is in its original period cases. The watch is in full working order and comes complete with a key for winding and presentation box.
THE DIAL: 100% mint, the original and unrestored convex white enamel dial with fine black Roman numerals, and a separate minute track to outside of dial and with no hairlines or chips. The bright white enamel dial with no chips, hairlines or crazing. The dial with original solid gold hour and minute hands. The domed glass in very fine condition. Diameter is 47 mm.
THE MOVEMENT: 100% mint, with richly gilded full plate in wonderful condition. The well engraved and carved rococo style balance cock and foot in superb condition with foliage and flowers and unusual floral centre. The balance cock further inset with a diamond end-stone. The back plate with further decoration and Bosley time regulator plate with finely pierced and engraved additional plate. An uncut three arm steel balance, verge escapement with flat hairspring and fusee and chain. The watch signed in Gothic script, Andrews of Cornhill, London, number 2467. The watch is keywind, comes with a key and is ticking very strongly indeed and movement size is 45 mm diameter. The movement with round ballustar pillars. Polished steel movement bolt with its original blued steel screw. Pierced gilded fusee stop work with iron hinge. The movement with unusual dust cover as shown. The movement with several high quality features. These consist of the fusee ratchet on the outside of the fusee, the third wheel is positioned at the top of the movement and the mainspring set up is under the dial, and a carved case spring. The finely blued screws are original, the fusee stop iron spring screw is ornate as is the case catch, a fine example of its kind and the gilding is still bright and fresh. The watch comes with a watch key and the watch runs the full length of the fusee chain. The wach also comes with its original nicely gilded dust cover, which is retained tightly to the movement.
THE WATCH-PAPERS: , the watch comes with two original 19th century watch-papers, one of which may be contemporary with the watch when it was sold, or within just a few years of that. This watch paper is signed by the London maker, John Lapard of 7, Stockwell Terrace, Clapham Road, London, with Royal coat of arms, and dates from ca. 1820. The second watch paper by M G. Thompson of High Street, Tonbridge in Kent.
THE CASE: 100%, the solid 18k gold outer case measures an impressive 57 mm outside diameter and the inner case, 51 mm and it weighs in total 120 grams. The hinged covers both closing tightly, and all in fine order. The well concealed five knuckle hinge in good order. The cases with matching London hall-marks, case maker marks and a Leopard's head. The pendant very well made D-bow in superb order. The cases with a sponsor mark of "JF" for John French of Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell, London. The inner case rear cover, with later 1833 dedication. The cases clearly original to the movement and they have always been together. The cases of heavy gauge and a good weight and feel in the pocket, and the outer spring button in fine order.